California Clean Air Day is October 6th.
We all have a role in clearing the air! One of the best things you can do is trade your gas vehicle in for an electric vehicle. It’s easier than you think.
What the Lab is doing for cleaner air:
- Submitted a California Clean Air Day Pledge, covering many of the items below
- Increasing the number of all-electric Lab fleet vehicles, currently at 33% of fleet
- Transitioning from gas-powered to all-electric landscaping equipment
- Setting high sustainability standards for new buildings to be all-electric (which began with 2015 Shyh Wang Hall (NERSC) and 2019 Integrative Genomics Building).
- Tuning existing buildings to run as efficiently as possible through Ongoing Commissioning (OCx)
- Providing support & incentives for transit, bike, carpool, and other green commute modes
- Supporting remote work, which reduces the pollution and climate impacts of commuting. (A 30% reduction in commute greenhouse gas emissions represents an approximate 4% reduction in the Lab’s overall reported greenhouse gas emissions.)
What you can do:
- Pledge Actions to support cleaner air & check out the Clean Air Day Events
- Drive less, and consider driving an electric vehicle
- Green your energy use at home, and replace gas-powered tools with electric or hand-powered
- Use natural cleaners and personal care products
- Reduce meat consumption and plant vegetables!
- Observe Spare the Air Days and Red Flag Warnings. Practice safety with vehicles, outdoor equipment, and fires.